last updated 1st August 2016
||Louise Hauge Matzen
||Lars Bo Petersen
||Fernando Mota de Almeida
||Jigna V Raja
This Award was initiated at the 13th ICDMFR to encourage research in maxillofacial imaging and to stimulate interest in the IADMFR. It will be awarded at the congresses of the IADMFR, subject to suitable applications being received.
The participants in this competition must submit an abstract via this website and in addition submit an extended abstract to the Editor of DMFR, Dr Ralf Schulze of DMFR, Prof. Ralf Schulze, within the deadline to be fixed and announced in due time prior to the meeting. Junior/trainee DentoMaxilloFacial radiologists and others with interest in DMF Radiology,can participate. For detailed information about this competition, please see below.
Original research limited to any aspect of maxillofacial imaging will be considered. It will be judged on:
- Originality and design of the investigation;
- Quality of the data produced;
- Suitability of the methods of analysis used;
- Scientific value of the work;
- Quality of the presentation;
- Demonstrated mastery of the subject. The applicants must state that he / she is prepared to deliver a paper at the next Scientific Meeting should he/she reach the finals of the competition.
- The applicant must be a member of the IADMFR and
- A postgraduate student in a recognized maxillofacial radiology program or related discipline, such as medical physics, radiation biology, imaging sciences, or engineering.
- A junior faculty in one of the above programs within 5 years of graduating.
- A dental student or postgraduate student in another discipline performing research in maxillofacial imaging.
The candidate must be nominated for the award by his/her program director (or the dean). More than one student can be proposed from the same school if the program director / dean deems them eligible. The program director or dean must attest to the status of the contestant.
All the finalists will be required to present their papers on the research (oral presentation) at the following Congress of the IADMFR.
- The first prize will be USD 4000, and a travel grant for the next IADMFR Congress of USD 1500
- The second prize will be USD 2000, and a travel grant for the next IADMFR Congress of USD 1000
- The third prize will be USD 1000, and a travel grant for the next IADMFR Congress of USD 500
Candidates who do not present their papers at the meeting are automatically excluded from the competition.
The winners will be announced at the General Assembly where they will be presented with a certificate. at the General Assembly where they will be presented with a certificate. The money will be wired after the paper submissions from the winners have been received by the Editorial Office of Dentomaxillofacial Radiology. (All finalists will receive a certificate at the General Assembly.)
If there is no deserving research paper submitted no award will be given.
A request for an extended abstract to be submitted with the application. An extended abstract (details below) is significantly longer than the standard abstract that the applicant should submit to the Congress itself. While preparing two different abstracts makes more work for the applicant, the extended abstract gives the Awards Committee more information to help them determine the finalists for the Research Award.
Details of the extended abstract:
2000-3000 words, structured as follows: Title, Authors, Objectives (a clear statement of the research aims, <100 words); Methods (a complete description of research providing detailed information on materials and methods, 1000-1500 words); Results (a list of the objective results without subjective interpretation, 100-500 words); Discussion (an explanation and interpretation of the results found, including links to other scientific work already published, 500-1000 words); Conclusion (a clear statement of the impact of the research, <100 words); References, Figures, and Tables.
The three award winners have to submit manuscripts of their research within six weeks (42 days) after the end of the congress. The manuscript will be peer reviewed in the same way, as other manuscripts submitted to the journal. Please note, that after careful Editorial evaluation basing on the reviews it may turn out that the manuscript is not suitable for publication in DMFR. In this case, it may also be rejected.
The deadline for submitting the research paper abstract for that meeting, is announced on the website of the next IADMFR congress. The manuscripts of those candidates that have won the prizes have to be submitted to the Journal within 6 weeks (42 days) after the closing date of the meeting.
- The selection committee will consist of the Editor of the Journal (chairman) plus one representative from each Europe, the Americas, Asia and one from the rest of the world combined; making a total of 5. The Editor of the Journal is the chairman of the selection committee.
- The selection committee must be appointed at the IADMFR Board of directors Meeting for the following meeting. The judges are expected to research the manuscripts sent to them and be at the meeting to do the final judging.
- The Selection Committee will determine the finalists. The finalists must be informed 3 months prior to the meeting. Should one of the finalists inform the selection committee that he/she will not be present at the meeting, another application may be chosen if suitable.
Final judgement criteria
If all requirements are fulfilled and the finalists have presented their work at the meetings the
members of the selection committee will decide on the winners. The decision will be based 60%
on the submitted abstracts and 40% on the oral presentation. If there are not enough deserving
candidates not all awards will be given.
Please use the online submission form or supply an electronic Word document of the extended abstract to Dr Ralf Schulze. Applications received after the deadline will only in exceptional cases be accepted at the discretion of the Selection Committee.
Please note you have to login to this website to obtain the contact details or access the online submission form.
Scientific session for finalists
There will be a session at the beginning of the Scientific Meeting where the finalist’s papers will be presented and judged.
Coauthors are acceptable but competitors must include a covering letter explaining the contribution of each of the authors. Part of the role of the judges will be to decide if the contribution is sufficient to allow them to entry to the competition. Only the first author will be awarded the prize.
A list of previous winners will be kept and published in the Newsletter of the IADMFR.
Deadlines 21th Congress Kaoshiung Chinese Taipei,, 2017
|Submission of abstract: (to Congress)
||December 15, 2016
|Extended Abstract (to Editor)
||December 15, 2016
|Notification of finalists
||January 10, 2017
|Submission of full-length manuscript (to editor)
||June 9, 2017
|Presentation by finalists in Kaoshiung
||to be defined